Board minutes-Beginning January 2019
Click here to see minutes of prior meetings

Beginning June, 2018, we began condensing the actual Board minutes for the website. If you'd like to see a copy of the actual, detailed minutes, please send us an email by clicking here...
The January JCO Board Meeting was called to order at 6:33PM on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019. All BOD members were present except for Sheila Cohn and John Owens. Additional JCO members present were David Cohn, Valerie Greenberg, Sandy Grotsky, and Fred Rothenberg.

Prayer: Miriam gave the prayer.

Finance Committee: Fred had sent a copy of his report to all members. Debby asked where was the line item for a gift of Naida Cohn. Fred said that if there has been no activity in a line item for 1½ years, it is not on the report, but the money is still there. It was also clarified that the Contingency Funds are unrestricted. He also said that the less we use funds as restricted, the better. Regarding member dues, all have paid except a very few, and these have paid part.

Sharon asked if we would get a tax deduction letter for the donations for Contingency Fund. At present there is still no mechanism for sending these letters. Fred had mentioned the need for these letters at a previous meeting; later he and Andrew accepted the task of determining how such letters could be generated. The Contingency Fund now has $7,200 with 35 donors.

Rental Committee:
Fred also included this committee’s report in the email. There was active discussion about the categories of renters: Non-Member; Member and Life Cycle Event; and Member with other than a Life Cycle Event. Alan clarified that a Life Cycle Event is a religious event. The committee discussed all issues and the difference between renting the Social Hall and renting the Sanctuary. Issues involved are marketing, showing, contracting, collections, insurance verification, opening and closing, post-event inspections, etc. Alan said it wasn’t practical to find a member willing to supervise this. The Committee felt that unless someone was going to use the facility at least 4 times a year, it wasn’t worth dealing with. Debby asked if using the Sanctuary would have to go to a Board decision. Tony asked if we could come up with a list of things, ‘no-brainers,’ that would be automatic. If they are out of the ordinary they could be flagged to come to the Board. Alan asked if we wanted to modify the rental committee’s report; no motion was made and the rental committee will discuss further its recommendations at the next meeting, February 6. 

Fred then reported that Alan came to the committee with the idea of renting the Social Hall to the Bridge Club at $4,800 per year for 2 years. They need to use it Monday and Friday from 12-4 and out by 4:30. This does not interfere with Shabbat preparations, but it may interfere with the Rabbi’s Torah Studies from 4-5. This will be discussed in New Business.T ony asked what we will lose in property tax? Alan said there is no loss from his rental. Jackie asked if members can have a one-time event, to which Alan replied “Yes.” He also said that a non-life cycle event should be treated like a non-member. Fred said they could put together a list as well as a list of suggested organization types to whom to rent. Alan suggested we give the committee time to review these options. These considerations will be discussed at the next committee meeting on February 6.

Social Committee: Valerie reported about the social committee meeting; all members were present. They suggested an Oscar watching party for members only at no charge. They expect to spend their remaining $1100 in their budget. The Social committee agreed on the Oscar party. 

The committee is trying to expand to plan and execute the 25th Anniversary Celebration of the Temple. It will be held in late March. Valerie asked that the Board approve the concept of having an anniversary celebration, the date of same, and for the committee to seek funds from the finance committee. Debby made a motion to that effect. Miriam seconded it and it passed unanimously.

Program Committee: There is a book review scheduled for March 3rd on Beneath a Scarlet Sky, by Mark Sullivan. The son of the main character will present the review.

Passover starts on Friday, April 19, and ends on Saturday April 27. The Seder is scheduled for April 20.

Minutes: First there was a review of the minutes of December. A motion was made to approve the minutes of the December meeting as corrected; seconded by Jackie. The motion passed unanimously. Larry made a motion to approve the minutes from November; Tony seconded. They were unanimously approved.

Social Action Committee: Sandy then read the entire list of potential programs that the meeting generated. We need a budget for this committee. Debby said that Rabbi Lotker was very involved in interfaith and would be a good resource for interfaith activities. Sandy indicated that Mandy Cisler and Lawrence Joselowsky are interested in using the social hall to give programs. For the programs by Mandy and Lawrence, Tony would like to ask what is the GOAL of what they are presenting, and what are the objectives.

Tony made a motion to approve the report and recommendations of the Board. Miriam seconded; it was approved unanimously.

Membership Committee: Larry, Chairman. We have one new member family, Cecilia and Jeff Starin, who have two daughters ages 5 ½ and 7. We now have 97 members.

Larry asked if non-members may be on committees. David pointed out that there are no religious restrictions in the bylaws.

Facilities Committee: Alan reported that Ted is doing a good job on the inside, and Alan is caring for the outside.

Publicity Committee: Sharon reported on publicity for the upcoming talk on Civil Rights by Lanny Kaufer, January 23. She has placed a small ad in the Ojai Valley News; posted 17 fliers, sent emails to the 7 churches for which she has emails; and sent information and fliers to the Federations of Ventura County and Santa Barbara County. Fred has posted the event on the Temple Blast. Lanny requested $250 up to $300 in donations, after discussion it was agreed that JCO would keep any remainder. Total cost of publicity is $39.65.

Sharon brought up that there is no brochure for the Temple. She will work on it. The cost of this program was approved by the President (Alan) and the Secretary. There was discussion of approval of programs by the President and one Board member up to $500. Larry suggested to reduce it to $250. There was discussion of this, with the suggestion to only allow a certain number of non-Board approvals per quarter that do not exceed $1,000. Further review is to be done.

Program Committee: There is an important event on March 3; a talk about the book Beneath the Scarlet Sky presented by the son of the author. Sharon was tasked with publicity for this event.

President’s Remarks: Alan mentioned the culture statement that was passed in May 2017. It sets forth parameters of behavior for members of the Board. They must treat everyone with understanding and caring. If someone does something they don’t approve of it should be brought up person to person, not in an email to all Board members.

OLD BUSINESS
1.The Yahrzeit program is not producing enough sign-ups. Alan has offered to phone the membership and volunteer to sign up their dearly departed. He requested volunteers to assist.
2.Security Measures: Chair Tony said the first step is to have a meeting with the rep from the L.A. Federation to get his advice. He will set that up and invite Ted, Jeff, and Alan. After that, he will arrange a meeting with the Ojai police chief. It was noted that many of our Board members attended the school meeting at Matilija school on Jan. 14th.
3.Plaques: Alan asked if $100 was still what the Board wanted to charge for a plaque on the pews. There were come complaints about sharp edges on the new plaques. David and Alan will work on this. A chart showing the locations of the plaques will be available in the Sanctuary in a binder. 
4.Contingency Fund: $7,200 has been collected; most gave $100; two individuals gave $1,000, one $800, one $500.

NEW BUSINESS

1.Bridge Club: A request was made by the Rental Committee to obtain Board approval to rent the Social Hall to the bridge club. This is a self-managing group. Jackie moved that the bridge club be permitted to rent the Social Hall for 2 years with rent at 400 per month. Andrew seconded. It passed This is subject to review and approval of the lease by David and Fred.
2. Publicity Committee: tasked with publicizing the discussion of Beneath the Scarlet Sky on March 3.
3. Reduction of amount to be spent without finance committee review. The Bylaws state that the President and one officer can approve an expenditure of up to $500 without going to the Finance committee. Larry recommended the amount be reduced from $500 to $200. After further discussion
The Bylaws state that the President and one officer can approve an expenditure of up to $500 without going to the Finance committee. Larry recommended the amount be reduced from $500 to $200.  There was discussion. A suggestion was to limit expenditures of $500 to 2 times a quarter. Tony made a motion: The total of such expenditures cannot exceed $1,000 per quarter. This passed unanimously.
Good & Welfare:
a.Fred said there are no previously budgeted items, for example paper and supplies; everything is in a general fund.
b.Andrew appreciated the discussion about events to be held at the Temple.
c.Alan reported that at 5:30PM he looked at the app that controls the temperature, and the room temp was 61. It was comfortable when the meeting started. For this, convenience, he thanked Jeff for installing it.
d.Miriam brought a sign, “Please refrain from using cell phones in the Sanctuary.” It will be framed and put in the hallway and lobby.
e.Miriam is working on the Decorum for the Temple. She also will take up with Sheila some topics she would like to present during services.

The meeting was adjourned at 9PM.