Temple Board Highlights...
beginning January, 2016

Click here to view earlier Board highlights
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – January 18,2016

Written by Jackie Sherman, Secretary

The meeting was called to order by Jeff Weinstein at 6:00pm 

Board Members in attendance:
Jackie Sherman
Pat Allen
Irene Hoos
David Cohn
Alan Greenberg

Guests in Attendance:

Margo Haas- Facility and Finance Committee



1.Minutes from the December meeting were approved.

2.JCO Facility Committee Report-(see attached report) Margo discussed the Guidelines for the use of the Social Hall. The Social Hall may be used by members and non-members for special events. Evy will serve as the on-site coordinator, and she will provide the Board with a range of fees for her services. At the completion of each event, the Board will be given a report of the fees that were received by Evy for her services. Evy has agreed to set up tables and chairs for the events depending upon the size of the event. The next event scheduled at JCO ,is a Bar Mitzvah on April 7. We agreed that a $500 security deposit be required prior to each event-this may be negotiated on a case to case basis. Margo will approach Debby to ask if she would serve as a Facility Contact person. The Board agreed that there will be no restrictive food policies for events.

3.Sexual Misconduct Policy-JCO’s Sexual Misconduct Policy was discussed. Margo will create an updated policy that will address the needs specified by our insurance company so that we remain in compliance with the policy guidelines.

4.Finance Committee-Margo discussed that the Hebrew School has been revenue producing. We will continue to get 1099 Forms for all employees, including Hebrew School employees. Fred will be requesting that all committees submit a budget for the next fiscal year to the Finance Committee by April,2016. David has agreed to put together guidelines for the Naida Cohn Memorial Fund, which would include the spirit of the fund and procedures for utilizing the fund.

5.Social Committee and Membership Committee-The social committee and membership committee have joined together to help create the kick-off event for the social hall. This event will be scheduled for either late March or the beginning of April. (see attached proposed details submitted by Alan). The stained glass windows event will be scheduled at a separate time. The installation of the windows will begin next week. Jeff informed the Board that we can get a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy that will allow us to schedule the social hall opening event in the next few months.


The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 pm.
Next meeting –February 8 at 7:00 pm.

​------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes of Meeting – February 8,2016

Written by Jackie Sherman, Secretary

The meeting was called to order by Jeff Weinstein at 7:05 pm 

Board Members in attendance:
Jackie Sherman
Pat Allen
David Cohn
Alan Greenberg
Bob Birk
Debby Finley Delamore

Guests in Attendance:

John Allen- Finance/Membership Committee

1.Minutes from the January meeting were approved.

2.Social Hall Updates and Rules: The social hall update includes questions regarding Evy’s fee, facility contact person, contract for proposed events to be scheduled in the social hall, written policy regarding alcohol/security guard, calendar of events-who will be in charge of the master calendar. Jeff will contact Margo, since she has been working on solidifying these issues, as well as other details related to the social hall use and procedures. The most recent Facility Committee Report was received on January 18,2016. Jeff will speak with Margo regarding the most recent work that has been decided upon since 1/18. Margo has also been working on refining the sexual misconduct policy, and Jeff will follow-up with her regarding the finalization of this policy.

3.Social Hall Opening /Stained Glass Window Event- The opening is scheduled for April 16.The paving of the parking lot has been completed. The Board approved the opening event to not exceed $6,000-John will report this decision to the Finance Committee. It will be a challenge to determine how many will be in attendance at this event , even with requesting RSVP’s, since they tend to be inaccurate ,and on the low side regarding attendance. We are estimating that there will be 100-140 persons in attendance. The Board agreed that the addition of the tent will be necessary on many different levels-primarily to demonstrate how the space may be utilized for large events in the future. Alan wants to buy a whiteboard made of glass. It will be available at the event so that people can sign-up for activities etc. that they would like to see JCO offer, as well as events, clubs etc. that they might want to participate in and facilitate.

4.Stained Glass Windows-There are 6 stained glass windows, and 10 openings where the windows may be placed. The Board agreed that at this time, obscure glass be placed in four of the openings, which may be replaced with stained glass in the future. Alan will send Jeff a layout of where the stained glass windows are being suggested to be installed. The installation will be completed by the opening event. The mural in the sanctuary will also be completed by the opening event.

5.Membership-John Allen presented his plan for new procedures dealing with members who do not pay their dues by September. In that month, the list of those who are delinquent will be turned over to the Board for their final decisions and disposition. The Board will then terminate the membership of these persons or make arrangements for a reduced payment of dues. This new system will save the Finance committee a lot of time, grief, and distractions.

6.Protocol for Electing New Board Members-Alan developed a protocol for electing New Board Members and electing Officers-Alan and Margo Haas developed a protocol that provides specific dates, deadlines etc. The Board approved inserting this protocol starting with the next monthly meeting. There was a general agreement that the next Board tackle these subjects in a more comprehensive way, including utilizing the input of the Board as well as others, with the goal of coming up with a final plan that would be added to the By-Laws.

7.Debit Card-Alan requested having a debit card to utilize for future Temple expenditures. This will occur when using a check is not practical, and he will be able to pay for the good and /or services with this card.

  The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 pm.
  Next meeting –March 14 at 7:00 pm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – March 14 ,2016

Written by Jackie Sherman, Secretary

The meeting was called to order by Jeff Weinstein at 7:05 pm 

Board Members in attendance:
Jackie Sherman
Pat Allen
David Cohn
Bob Birk
Irene Hoos
Debby Finley Delamore

Guests in Attendance:

Fred and Ila Rothenberg- Finance Committee
Margo Haas-Social Hall Committee

1.Minutes from the February meeting were approved.

2.Completion of installation of stained glass windows-the installation will start next week. We still do not have a certificate of occupancy. It was decided by the Board to delay the opening of the Social Hall tentatively until May 14 based on the agreement of several key persons involved in the opening. Pat will contact Aryna, and Alan will be contacted before the new date is confirmed. This was decided since we do not know when we will receive the certificate of occupancy, and several other concerns discussed.

3.Passover was discussed, and the Board will invite Sheila to the next meeting to get an update on the progress of this event.

4.Annual Meeting-will be held on May 11 at 7:00pm. Potential Board members need to be aligned at this time. The Board must have between 5-11members based on the Bylaws. We will have a Strategic Planning Update at this meeting, and mention the Opening of the Social Hall. We believe this will stimulate more interest for attendance at the opening event.

5.Board Members- Debby, Pat, Irene, Alan and David will remain on the Board for next year and James Osher has agreed to join the Board. We continue to look for new members to serve on the Board. We decided to have a dinner meeting prior to the Annual Meeting with the current board members and the new members that have agreed to serve on the Board. This will be the last Board meeting for those members stepping down.

6.Strategic Planning –Capital Program- Fred presented the report that was emailed to the Board. We are approximately 30k short of the campaign fund. No fund-raising activity is currently being done, but ideas were discussed at the meeting. There was a suggestion of a dues increase among other fund raising activities. We have a $9,000 deficit currently, and we hope to close this gap prior to the new Board being in place. We will suggest to the new Board the idea of a dues increase.

7.Honor for Members that have contributed to the Temple financially as well as in service- The Board decided at this time that only a verbal recognition be made to these members at the Annual Meeting.

8.Social Hall update-Margo provided an update of the Social Hall Committee. It was discussed how to handle non-profit organizations requests to use the social hall-we decided this will be handled on a case–to-case basis. Irene has agreed to be the Board Member Representative for the Social Hall.

9.Bnai Mitzvah Brochure- Debby presented a draft of the brochure which was approved by the Board. She will bring a finished sample to the Board before printing the brochure.

10.New Business: Margo discussed the Yom Ha’Shoah event on May 5-it will be a service with a spiritual movement class after the service. The teacher that will lead the movement portion comes highly recommended. There will be an $18 charge per person to attend the event. We are hoping to have several blessing inspired events throughout the year.

Agenda for April’s Meeting:

Passover Event-invite Sheila to attend
Confirm Annual Meeting
New Board Members-thank Board Members that will be stepping down
Discuss fundraising and dues increase 
Pat has agreed to take minutes of the April meeting since Jackie will be out of town

  The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm.
  Next meeting –April 11 at 7:00 pm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JCO Board of Directors
MINUTES: April 11, 2016

Present: Pat Allen, Bob Birk, David Cohn, Sheila Cohen, Debby Finely Delamore, Irene Hoos, Alan Greenberg, Jeff Weinstein
Absent: Jackie Sherman

Social Hall update/Open House: It was agreed to order food for 140. Sheila commented that the vegetable platter at her party was untouched, all other food was consumed. A sign was requested for the sanctuary to ask people not to bring food or drink into the sanctuary. Barbara Hirsch previously agreed to serve as a docent in the sanctuary throughout the event. John Allen presented buttons that all BOD and Social and Membership Committee chairs are invited to wear at the Open House saying: “Ask me about membership.” David Cohn has developed cards on which information about prospective members can be collected. John and Howard Hoos (bartenders) will serve as depositories of this information. Debby suggested that someone be in charge of checking the bathrooms periodically. Clean up will be handled by the new cleaning person on Saturday.

Passover at Soule Park: Sheila reported we have 70 reservations and hope for 100. She meets with Soule Park next Saturday to go over details. Sheila asked for those who are able to pay forward for members who cannot afford to attend. For the past two years the Seder has earned $500, hope is for the same. Bob cannot perform music this year and the sentiment was to see if we can find another person to do some songs. Pat & John will talk to Jeff (son-in-law) and David Cohn has a possible resource.

Finance Committee: As JCO is projected to have $69,096 (one year’s operating expenses in the bank) at the end of the 2016-2017 fiscal year, the BOD voted unanimously to accept the budget as presented by the Finance Committee, which projects a deficit of $1877. It was noted that the 2016-2017 Budget is conservative in that there is no projection of increased membership revenue and all budget expense requests were included unchanged. A discussion ensued about committee budgets, which resulted in a request that next year the Finance Committee provide a one-page handout to committee chairs with clear guidelines for what is needed in a budget as well as a date for budget submission. 

Annual Meeting/New Board Members: New members: James Osher, Sylvia Raz, Mario Cepeda will be invited on May 9 and BOD will vote on them. David Cohn invited Ted Malos to join the BOD, Ted has not yet replied. Other candidates were discussed. There will be a dinner 7:00 PM with food ordered from Papa Lennon’s. The Annual Meeting is now scheduled for Monday, May 23, 7:00 PM.

Facility Use: Unanimous vote to approve Margo’s facility use & fee schedule. She will be invited to attend the next Board meeting. Margo and Irene have agreed to share responsibilities for overseeing the facility for the coming year.

Insurance: Jeff suggested that going forward this item be reviewed by the new BOD in light of the deficit. Margo will be consulted.

Federation Grants: Margo suggested all committees consider applying for Jewish Federation grants where appropriate and she and Barbara Hirsch will be available to supply consultation. She also suggested that the Board serve as a clearinghouse to approve and prioritize proposals.

Respectfully submitted,

Pat Allen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – May 2 ,2016


The meeting was called to order at 7:05 pm by Bob Birk, V.P. as President Jeff Weinstein was not able to attend. 

 Current as well as New Board Members in attendance:
Jackie Sherman
Bob Birk
Pat Allen
David Cohn
Irene Hoos
Debby Finley Delamore
Alan Greenberg
  Intended new members:
Sylvia Raz
James Osher
Lynne Goldfarb
Jerry Hittleman
Mario Cepeda

Guest in Attendance - Barbara Hirsch for stained glass windows discussion

The meeting was opened with a prayer provided by Debby

Bob explained that it is not necessary to approve April’s minutes since everyone had a chance to review them and make comments for a few days after they were sent out right after the April meeting.

Bob asked that we each introduce ourselves to the group, provide some background information, including when they came to Ojai and when they joined the Temple. A great deal of history was shared, and it was a good opportunity to get to know the backgrounds of the members. 

Barbara Hirsch was called upon to explain the status of the stained glass windows (SGW), and requested that the board make a provision for JCO to accept donations that are designated to go to the additional enhancement of the SGW. Barbara recommends that, if enough money is raised, it would go to purchasing additional SGW. There is no need for any additional money for the project as all auxiliary expenses have already been covered.

David moved that the JCO accept donations that are specifically earmarked for the SGW. The money would be comingled with our general funds, but will be accounted for in a separate line item in the accounting system. Any funds that are ultimately not utilized for this purpose would be refunded to the donors. Alan seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Barbara also requested permission from the board to produce a high quality descriptive 2 sided 
card or a fold over small brochure that deals with the SGW. She presented a firm quote from 
Anca Colbert, who offered to undertake and complete the project for $2,520. She would like the
product to be ready in time to distribute at the Art event planned for October 19th. Barbara 
explained that the Program committee’s budget is $3,000, and she can use that money to pay for
this product. She also could possibly get this funded by the Jewish Federation, in which case, this 
amount would go back into the Program budget. The Board approved Barbara’s request.

Alan reviewed the status and plans of the Social Committee. The Open House went very well; there were 190-200 people in attendance. 58% of our JCO members were in attendance. The Social committee met a few days later and reviewed all of the plusses and minuses. Notes were made so that lessons learned would help to improve our future events.

In the absence of an ongoing chair, Valerie Greenberg and Carey Appel volunteered to become the co-chairs. They also invited 3 people to join the committee and they all accepted. They decided to start the ball rolling with 3 events. Jackie will be conducting a yoga class monthly with the first session at 6 PM on 5/16. For members it is free and for non-members it is $10 per session. A card playing event will be held at 7 PM on 5/19. There is no charge for this event. There will be low stakes poker, gin rummy, and bridge. Alan & Valerie will be available to offer advice to the bridge group while they are playing. Janet Owens will hold an IPad instruction class-date TBA. She envisions 4 consecutive weekly sessions.

At that point, Bob proceeded to request that the Board elect new board members to replace three retiring members and fill open slots, naming each one, and asking for a show of hands. The result was unanimous approval. The new members were each given their personalized name tag.

First Meeting of the New Board

Alan explained that the carryover board members had recommended that new officers should logically come from their ranks. The slate that was decided upon is: David Cohn, Pres.; Pat Allen, V.P.; Alan Greenberg, Treas. The Board was asked to approve the slate and they did so unanimously. 

At that point, David took over the chairmanship of the meeting. His first order of business was to ask who would like to be Secretary. After some discussion, Jerry volunteered and he was accepted by the Board.

David asked for a sense of the members as to the best day of the week and the best week of the month to have our meetings. It was agreed to continue holding the board meetings on the 2nd Monday of the month from 7 to 9 PM. David advised that he intended to start the meetings on time and to finish no later than 9 PM.

He then advised that the next meeting will be one that focuses on orienting the new board members about everything that it would be helpful for them to know about the JCO. That meeting will be on June 13th.

David then explained that he would like one board member to be present at each Friday night service. That person will be responsible for opening and closing the building. He/she will also be called upon to make remarks at the end of the service. Alan will provide detailed instructions as to how to best complete these tasks.

Debbie brought up some points: She requested that in one of our next few meetings we review and discuss the most recent Seder and plans for next year." She asked for the board to approve our support and involvement in the production of the Ojai Youth Opera, Brundibar, and it was approved by the Board.

There was a brief discussion about a pot luck after Friday services once per month, and also inviting Friday services attendees to join up for dinner in a local restaurant. These issues will be discussed in detail at the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:05 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – June 13, 2016

Fred Rothenberg called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m., as President David Cohn was late due to a car accident on the way to the meeting.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Alan Greenberg (left after instructions about the building)
Debby Finley Delamore
Sylvia Raz
James Osher
Mario Cepeda
Jerry Hittleman

Guests:
Sheila Cohen
Fred Rothenberg
Ila Rothenberg

Fred opened the meeting by distributing a handout and explaining the functions of the Finance Committee. He then described the purpose of the Committee and how it operates. Fred closed by reviewing the expenditure and revenue spreadsheet.

Alan Greenberg showed the Board members how to properly open and close the building, use the locking door, turn on the lights, and use the thermostats for Friday night services and special events as he toured the building with the Board. He stated that at least one Board member should volunteer on a weekly basis to open and close the building, turn on the lights, etc for each Friday night service, as well as presenting Temple events to those people in attendance. A sign-up sheet was passed around toward the end of the meeting and several Board members signed up for the remainder of June and some weeks in July (see end of minutes for volunteer list).

David joined the meeting during the building tour and led the remainder of the meeting. He explained the terms of the Rabbis contract which included a certain amount of Friday night services and Holiday Services. Stated that the Rabbi has been invited to the August Board meeting and we will decide what topics to discuss with the Rabbi at our July meeting. David also informed the Board that he and Fred have been keeping the calendar for the building for classes, events, and functions.

James stated that more people should be involved in service duties/projects for the community (congratulatory notes, hospital/sick bed visits, shiva functions, etc.). Sheila explained that there is an ad-hoc committee now that performs this function. James volunteered to chair a new committee and various names were discussed (Mitzvah Committee, Tikun Olam, and Tikun Ojai). An email blast will be sent to the members to see who is interested in participating on this committee. 

Sheila, as head of the Religious Committee described how we have a Hebrew School with older students and their Mom that are working toward their B’nei Mitzvah. Mid-August choir practice will begin for the High Holy Day Services. A discussion about various religious events ensued: traditional nature of Hannukah songs, higher level and more fun-type learning at the Passover Seder. Perhaps the use of a Temple Hagadah should be considered.

David discussed the possible use of funds in the Naida Cohen Memorial Fund. Some uses may be a wedding style dinner or new Shabbat prayerbooks. He will get back to the Board after discussing with the fund members.

David handed out the Temples Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws to the Board and asked them to read these documents and think about updates or revisions that could be discussed at a future meeting. David also asked that the Social Action Committee explore joining the HIAS Campaign to address the global refugee crisis.
​--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – July 11, 2016

President David Cohn called the meeting to order on time at 7:00 p.m.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Alan Greenberg
Pat Allen 
Debby Finley Delamore
Sylvia Raz
Lynne Goldfarb
Natalie Jones
James Osher
Jerry Hittleman

David opened the meeting by informing the Board that Sylvia had brought zucchini squash to share.

David welcomed Natalie to the Board and she gave a brief introductory bio, as did all the members of the Board. 

The minutes from the 6.13.16 Board meeting were discussed and everyone was encouraged to review the minutes from the previous Board meeting prior to the current meeting. The minutes were approved 8-0. David also apologized for not distributing the agenda prior to the meeting.

Committee Reports were discussed:
Membership Committee – membership is growing and several items were discussed including the method of paying dues (contribution vs. required amount), various options for a new members (18 in past 2 years) appreciation event such as a dinner or other similar function. This will be referred to the Social Committee. A potential “Meet the Rabbi” event on Sunday, 9.11.16 at 2:00 p.m. was discussed. The congregation and perhaps the greater community were to be invited
Social Committee - A joint JCO/Temple Beth Torah comedian event was discussed and will be further explored by Alan.
New Helping Hands Committee – 16 people responded to James’ email for the meeting to be held on 7.13.16 at 7:00 p.m. There will be minutes/report at August Board meeting.
Finance Committee – The operating deficit for the past fiscal year was approximately $7,000. Several members have not paid their dues for this year. This has been an ongoing problem that always goes 9 or 10 months into the fiscal year. The Finance Committee has decided that they intend to make September as the last month that dues will be dealt with. For any members who have not either paid their dues or made an arrangement for payment or adjustment, their membership will be referred to the Board for their final decisions at the September Board meeting.
Religious Committee – High Holidays will be discussed and a volunteer list will be made with one person in charge of the list. 

Cabaret Event – a cabaret event tentatively scheduled for 11.6.16 was discussed. Alan described the event, which will have 3-4 entertainers, donated wine, and potentially a security guard. Kids will be ½ price and a possible reduced family rate was discussed. The Board voted 9-0 to allow this event.

Musical Performance Event - David advised of a potential musical performance from an outside group that has inquired about renting our facility. He will meet with one of the performers to explore the viability of this event and will report back to the Board.

Grant applications – discussed the applications, which are for additional stained glass windows, Hebrew School, and a Shabbaton. They were acknowledged by the Board and will be forwarded to the Jewish Federation of Ventura County.

Security for High Holy Day Services - Security for the High Holy Days was discussed – possible police car parked out front or private security guard may be hired. Debbie suggested training Temple members to function as security persons. The Board will discuss this item further at the August with the Rabbi and/or September meeting.

Matter relating to copies of plans – Debbie suggested that this item be referred to a mediation panel made up of 3 Temple members. She will draft an email to go out to the congregation seeing who would be interested in being on the mediation panel. All similar unresolved matters will be referred to the panel in the future.

Draft Board of Directors (BOD) Manual – this manual was prepared by Pat and Margo. Board praised Pat and Margo for putting together the draft manual, which contains history of the Temple, policies, forms, procedures that will be very helpful to current and future Board members. Pat oriented everyone to the contents and format and stated that it is a work in progress and tabs will be added in the future to separate the sections. All Board members are to review the Manual before the next Board meeting.

Prepare for meeting w/Rabbi at the August Board meeting - several items were discussed as possible topics/issues to discuss with the Rabbi at the August Board meeting. David has a list of items that will be discussed and possibly put on the August meeting agenda. Some topics are a Global Day of Jewish Learning event lead by the Rabbi, rules for our kitchen, the meet the Rabbi event for 9.11.16, and Passover 2017.

David adjourned the Board meeting at approximately 9:20 p.m.
​---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – August 8, 2016


President David Cohn called the meeting to order on time at 7:05 p.m.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Alan Greenberg
Mario Cepeda
Debby Finley Delamore
Sylvia Raz
Lynne Goldfarb
James Osher
Jerry Hittleman
Special Guest: Rabbi Lotker

Debbie led the Board in an opening prayer.

David opened the meeting by informing the Board that Rabbi Lotker has been invited to discuss various synagogue-related topics in an open fashion with the Board members. The varied topics that were discussed included the kashrut status or policy for the synagogue’s kitchen, whether services should be mostly in Hebrew or mostly in English, should their be music or no music, periodic tot Shabbat services, improvement of the oneg Shabbat, the past format and possible new formats for JCO Passover services, possible Torah study before or after Shabbat, a potential Jewish literacy class, the Hanukah celebration at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, and other related topics. Please note that these were discussion items only and no decisions were made or votes cast.

The Board then discussed hosting an International Day of Learning at JCO on Sunday, November 20, 2016, to be referred to the Programs Committee. Mario moved that the JCO host this event, Debbie seconded the motion, and there was a unanimous vote to approve this motion. 

Volunteers to open and close the synagogue and make Board/JCO-related announcements are as follows:

August 12: Mario
August 19: Shabbat Under the Stars
August 26: James
September 2: David
September 9: Jerry

David adjourned the Board meeting at approximately 9:15 p.m.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – September 12, 2016


President David Cohn called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Mario Cepeda
Debby Finley Delamore
Pat Allen
Jerry Hittleman
Special Guests: Fred and Ila Rothenberg – Finance Committee (left after first item)

Debbie led the Board in an opening prayer.

Finance Committee Report

Fred gave a Finance Committee Report regarding collection of membership dues. More dues from members were collected at this point in the year than in 2015. There are 3 members who have not paid their dues. Board Member Alan Greenberg will talk to these members regarding payment by October 10, 2016, when the Board will re-consider this item, if no dues have been paid. Payment plan was approved 5-0. The Board Members gave a big Thank You to the Finance Committee for a job well done on collecting membership dues by a 5-0 vote.

Program Committee Report

Discussed various items from the Program Committee meeting minutes: 

October 19th windows event, potential theater party on October 15th (David will talk to Margo), 
Pamela Grau event – Ojai Artists to meet 1/month in Social Hall. The Board asked them to make a donation of their choice. Board approved 5-0,
Carrie Kilmer/Taye Jeffrey Concert – proposed to use the sanctuary for a concert. Board felt that sanctuary should only be used for Jewish-themed events. Social Hall would be better for a concert. Guidelines for future events are needed. Board voted 5-0 to deny this request.

Membership Item

JCO Directory and Book of Remembrance – Pat has become de facto coordinator for these items and would like to relinquish this responsibility next year – 2017. Discussion ensued regarding putting these items in electronic format next year. No resolution and this item will be placed on a future agenda.

Board Member At Service Responsibility (Open/Close for Shabbat Service)

September 16 – Debbie Open/Mario Close
September 23 - Alan
September 30 – Debbie Open/Mario Close
October 7 – Pat
October 14 – Jerry

Severance Pay Issue

The issue of severance pay will go to the Mediation Committee

Future Rabbi Events

Literacy Program - Referred to the Program Committee by a 5-0 vote.
Jewish Day of Learning – Referred to Program Committee by a 5-0 vote.

High Holy Day Assignments were reviewed

Meeting adjourned by David at 9:20 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – October 10, 2016


President David Cohn called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Mario Cepeda
Debby Finley Delamore
Sylvia Raz
Lynne Goldfarb
James Osher
Jerry Hittleman

Special Guest: Margo Haas

Debbie led the Board in an opening prayer.

Committee Reports

Social Committee Report

Movie Night – “Remember” movie will be shown on Saturday, November 19th, at 5:30 PM 
Rabbi Alper joint event at Temple Beth Torah was considered to be a success.

Finance Committee

Discussed highlights of the Finance Committee report: All 85 members have paid their dues and dues are up-to-date, comedy night proceeds of $310.

Membership Committee Report

Membership Directory was distributed
New members dinner discussed. Many options were vetted including potluck for all new members within the last 4 years with some contribution to the main dish by JCO.

Old Business

Board Member At Service Responsibility (Open/Close for Shabbat Service)

October 14 – Jerry (Sheila performed this function)
October 21 - Debbie
October 28 – James
November 4 – Sylvia

Discussion of Policy and Procedures Manual

The item was delayed until Pat returns. Possible date of December 12, 2016 was discussed.

Update of Funding Requests to Jewish Federation

Two grants were received from the Jewish Federation of Ventura County:

$2,050 for Hebrew School
$4,450 for Shabbaton

Discussion of Food Policy for the Temple’s Kitchen and Social Hall

A discussion and vote of JCO’s Food Policy was postponed until the November Board meeting. It was stated that in November a vote on this Food Policy will take place. David requested that the Religious Practices Committee submit their Food Policy recommendations to the Board in writing prior to the Board’s November meeting.

New Business

Two Requests for Use of Social Hall

Margo reported that the following two requests have been received:

November 1 – Miriam Rosen 80th Birthday Party. Will be for 8-10 people from 6-9 PM. A $50 cleaning deposit will be required. Approved by Board 7-0.
Monthly Meeting – Ojai Woman’s Fund. Found to be OK since OWF is a non-profit. Approved by Board 7-0.

Purchase of 20 Rosh Hashanah Books

The congregation was short about 20 books for Rosh Hashanah services. The Board authorized the purchase of 20 additional books by a 7-0 vote.

Board Member to Speak – Morning of Yom Kippur

Lynne was picked to speak about the various JCO Committees including the reactivated Social Action Committee

Request for Expenditures for the Naida Cohn Memorial Fund

David led a discussion of various expenditure alternatives. David described a special musical Shabbat service on December 7th with Cantor Jay O’Brian with an enhanced Oneg. The main discussion revolved around the purchase of 60 new Mishkan T’Filah siddurs and combination siddur/holiday/festival books were discussed. The Board agreed that either book would be a good use of a portion of the Fund.

Executive Session (closed session about results of a recent Mediation Committee recommendation was discussed)

Meeting adjourned by David at 9:20 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – November 14, 2016


President David Cohn called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Debby Finley Delamore
Alan Greenberg
Sylvia Raz
Pat Allen
James Osher
Jerry Hittleman

Special Guest: John Allen

Debbie led the Board in an opening prayer.

Committee Reports

Finance Committee

The Board discussed the status of 2 lapsed members and voted 7-0, to send a letter to each lapsed Temple member.

Membership Committee Report

Lengthy discussion about “The Welcome Dinner” concluded with a vote of 7-0, to open the dinner to all members with an email going out to new members from the past 2 years first to give them a head start to sign up, followed by a different letter to all other members. The dinner is set for January 8, 2017 at a cost of $12.75 per person. The Social Committee is willing to contribute ALL of their $1,398 remaining budget funds to pay for the purchase of 3 more tables, tablecloths for 9 tables, silverware service for 120, and also partially defray the $21 per person cost of the dinner. Tickets will only be available online, and the dinner will be available to the first 72 members to purchase tickets due to fire capacity rules and space limitations in the Social Hall.

Religious Committee Report

The Board voted 7-0 to allow non-members and their children to enroll in the religious school; however, they would have to pay a “premium” price.

The following food policy for the Sanctuary and Social Hall was passed by a 7-0 vote:


Food Policy

To show respect for the Jewish dietary laws, the Jewish Community of Ojai observes a food policy that is a simplified version of kashrut. We prohibit the use of foods prohibited by the Torah (pork products, shellfish products and other foods) and the mixing of milk and meat products. This policy applies to any function on JCO grounds or at official JCO functions anywhere.

Prohibited Foods

Meet containing pork or pork products (ham, bacon, hot dogs with pork, etc.)
Meat from an animal that does not chew its cud and have cleft hoofs
Poultry other than chicken, duck, geese, turkey, or pigeons.
Fish other than those having both fins and scales (e.g. shrimp, lobster, scallops, crab, catfish, shark, snails, eels, etc.)

Kosher Meat and Labeling

Meet need not be purchased from a Kosher butcher
A Kosher label is not required on any food product

Mixing of Milk and Meat

Dishes clearly containing both (e.g. meat lasagna with cheese) are prohibited
Simultaneously serving both (e.g. hamburgers and cheese pizza) is prohibited
However, items need not be certified parve in order to be served with meat

Passover

Use of leaven (e.g. yeast-based bread) is prohibited during Passover
Foods used during Passover need not be labeled “Kosher for Passover.

Programming Committee

The Board discussed the stained glass windows event and the possibility of adding 2-4 stained glass windows. No decision was made. James was asked to do a study as to how many windows he thinks should be added and their locations. 


Old Business

Board Member At Service Responsibility (Open/Close for Shabbat Service)

November 18 – James
November 25 – Alan
December 2 – David
December 9 – Pat
December 16 – Debbie/Mario
December 23 – Jerry
December 30 – Alan

Flood Insurance Continuation

The Board voted 7-0 to discontinue the Flood Insurance policy for the upcoming year.

Formation of a Maintenance or Facilities Committee

This discussion was tabled and will be put on the December 12, 2016, Board meeting.

Discussion of Policy and Procedures Manual

The Board decided to have the following 3 Subcommittees discuss various aspects of the Policy and Procedure Manual and report back to the Board at their December 12, 2016 Board meeting:

Bylaws – David and Debbie
Passover – James and Alan
Strategic Plan Review – Jerry and Pat

Other Board members and members-at-large are encouraged to participate on any of the subcommittees.

New Business

Purchase of Additional High Holiday Books

David reported that up to 20 additional High Holiday books would be purchased.

Meeting adjourned by David at 8:48 PM; next meeting Monday, December 12th.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Community of Ojai – Board of Directors
Minutes of Meeting – December 12, 2016

President David Cohn called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.

Board Members in attendance:
David Cohn
Debby Finley Delamore
Alan Greenberg
Mario Cepeda 
Pat Allen
James Osher
Jerry Hittleman

Debbie led the Board in an opening prayer.

Committee Reports

The Board discussed sending a letter to the Chair of each committee requesting that they send a report to the Board on a monthly basis to include the following information:

Status of Budget
Did you meet during the past month
Any Actions to Report
Any Needs from the Board
Include a request for any Budget Needs for the upcoming Fiscal Year that begins on June 1, 2017

Social Committee Report

The Social committee has purchased 120 drinking glasses, 96 wine glasses, 120 sets of 4 piece tableware, 3 more tables (making a total of 9), and 9 table cloths.
Future Shabbaton Event in February was discussed

Finance Committee

The Board accepted the Finance Committee Report

Old Business

Board Member At Service Responsibility (Open/Close for Shabbat Service)

December 16 – Debbie and Mario
December 23 - Jerry
December 30 – Alan
January 6 - David
January 13 - James
January 20 - Sylvia
January 27 - Pat

Welcome Dinner Letter

The Board voted 6-1 on the language for the Welcome Dinner letter and a fee of $18.00 per person.

Passover Plans

James and Alan reported on their recommendations for the upcoming Passover Holiday. The Seder will be held in the JCO Temple Social Hall with a tent extension. The planning details will be discussed at upcoming Board meetings.

Strategic Plan and Bylaws Subcommittees

Although not on the agenda the Strategic Plan Subcommittee and Bylaws Subcommittees progress was discussed and the discussion will be continued at the January Board meeting.

New Business

Social Hall Requests

Ojai Film Society request to use the Social Hall was approved by the Board by a 7-0 vote. The Board agreed to a $75 fee with a $25 cleaning deposit.
The Board approved the Ojai Youth Opera use of the social hall Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 6:00 pm, for further planning of the Opera Brundibar. JCO fund raising committee members may want to attend this meeting.

Possible Purchase of Mishkan T’Filah for the House of Mourning

Rabbi Lotker has asked for 30 copies of the mourning prayer book at $18 per book. This discussion was referred to the Religious Committee for possible inclusion in their 2017-18 budget request. 

Dedications List Discussion

A potential dedications list was discussed and this item was referred back to the Fundraising Committee for further input.

Meeting adjourned by David at 9:10 PM; next meeting Monday, January 9, 2017.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here to view later Board highlights